Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The Long Walk

I still remember,  on my walk to the busstand  after school, I used to see her at the school gate entering her dad's Benz car. I didn't even know her name, we never even shared a word, a face I would forget after I left the school.

Years later during my second year vacation from med School, here I was sitting at the Town square, gazing at the once familiar City now for some reason looking back at me like a stranger. The evening commotion has just begun and among the crowd of pedestrians I saw her. I stood up and walked towards her. I walked by, kept pace with her. She noticed me and said "sorry I got bit busy at school, did you wait long?". With a smile I shook my  head and we started our routine walk across the city. Talking about our day we walked in small steps through the rushing city. These evening walks were the sole highlight of my uneventful vacation days. As the sun sets to the horizon, we ended our journey at the gate of her home. As usual I politely refused her invitation for a tea. I bid bye and walked back to the city to get back to my home. My cell phone rang and I attended the call. From the other side she said "let me  accompany you in the journey  back home over the call". And we continued our long walk.

 


Writer - Dr. Yeswanth S Nambiar 

Artist - Dr. Nandini V S


Dedicated to my dear little sister "Sonu" ❣️

9 comments: